Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Toulouse

Today we took our first religious pilgrimage to Toulouse, a city about an hour and a half away from Ambialet.  Big cities in France are so different than big cities in the USA.  We left Ambialet around 9:00 am this morning and we arrived in Toulouse around 10:30 am.  The first place we visited was St. Sernin's Basilica (first church picture).  This basilica was absolutely massive!!  There are so many details in the sculpture and the artwork outside and inside of the basilica that one would not normally notice on one's own.  Thank goodness that we had Eric with us to explain everything.  After seeing the basilica, we went to Saint Raymond's Museum.  This museum held all of the artifacts from when Toulouse was under the rule of the Roman Empire.  We then we to a Dominican Church (second church picture) that held the remains of Saint Thomas Aquinas.  This church was right by one of the best high school in France (since they receive 100% pass rates on the standardized test).  Walking around, especially near the school, everyone would stare.  It was probably obvious that we were speaking English and looked American.  After seeing this church, everyone was starving, so we were given an hour to find somewhere to eat.  Alicia, Jen, Katie, Morgan, Maura, and I came across a cafe.  We ordered (or should I say tried to order, since the waiter did not speak a lot of English) the "plat du jour" which included an entree and a dessert.  For an entree, I got beef with this sauce on it and a broccili, ham, and cheese casserole.  For dessert, I had my first chocolate crepe!!!  This was an absolutely delicious lunch!!!!  After lunch we visited the house of Saint Dominic.  We then headed back home to Ambialet for dinner and a night of getting work done.  Tomorrow we have French class in Albi and we are told that we are meeting the mayor of Albi at town hall, so that should be an exciting experience.

I must say, Toulouse was a beautiful city, but the language barrier was definitely a problem (even when I sign onto Google on my computer, it puts everything in French).  Today, I tried to buy some postcards and I gave the cashier my credit card.  For some reason he tried to explain to me IN FRENCH that my credit card would not work.  So when he saw that I had some Euros in my wallet, he said "Oui" and I handed him a 5 euro instead.  Being in a foreign country can be very frustrating when you do not speak the language.  Nothing has an English translation, so you are totally lost when you are walking around.  Hopefully, as I am here longer, I will become more familiar to the language and it will not be as uncomfortable walking around cities.

To end this lovely day, our shower head is broken, so John came into our room to check it.  On the way out of the room he said that Eric was missing a desk and a chair from him room.  Now, so that you all understand, Katie took a desk and a chair out of the empty room next to us.  So John asks if we knew anything about the missing desk and chair.  Katie replies "No" and I just awkwardly look at Katie with a nervous look on my face and Jen looks nervously at Alicia (since they took stuff too).  John then asks me if I knew, and I said "Ohhh we did not know anyone was in that room."  Katie, Alicia and John then start laughing.  Apparently, this was a little prank planned by Katie and Alicia when they were talking to John this evening.  Afterwards, John said that it was okay that we had the extra stuff in our room.  Ohh how I love my friends.  Thanks guys!! =) Haha!!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment